Ickburgh School, Hackney
Protecting Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) from Fire
Avanti Architects called upon the professionals at HSP Fire Protection, and our team of experts to specify an outstanding fire protection solution for Ickburgh School, in London Borough of Hackney.
When constructing Ickburgh School using Cross Laminated Timber (CLT), Avanti Architects had to over-come one major obstacle; to ensure the timber structure was sufficiently fire proof.
Ickburgh School is a purpose-built school for 2-19 year olds on the Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulty spectrum.
Avanti opted for Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) over traditional methods of construction as the material is highly sustainable and environmentally friendly.
CLT acts as a natural carbon store, using it in this 5000sqm building equates to taking 130 cars off the road each year for the next 20 years.
Selecting the right coating for this CLT structure proved to be extremely problematic for Avanti as the coating had to perform a number of different functions.
First and foremost, the coating had to be fire retardant and comply with Fire Safety Legislation to ensure the school could open and meet building legislation. Avanti also required the coating to look attractive and compliment the building’s modern design. And, as a final hurdle to the specification, the coating needed to be durable.
As with any high-traffic environment the coating must withstand bumps and knocks without damage to the protective coating.
After meeting with Avanti and listening to their requirements, the HSP Fire Protection experts put together a bespoke specification.
We recommended the use of an Envirograph ES/VFR fire retardant coating and the HSP TCW water-based fire protection top coat.
Both fire retardant coatings for Avanti Architects were tinted to Holman Specialist Paints colour 1597. An attractive semi-transparent, matt, whitewash finish. The whitewash effect complemented the modern aesthetic of the design and creates a calming atmospheric interior that feels spacious, crisp and light. A semi-transparent whitewash was chosen over a solid opaque painted white finish to harness and highlight the natural beauty of the CLT.
Envirograf ES/VFR Fire Retardant Class 0 & Class 1 Coating
- Water-based coating for internal and external timber.
- ES/VFR Class 0 / Class 1 spread of flame protection
- Low-odour, water based formula
- Tested and Approved by UK and EU Fire Regulations
- Can be clear, white or tinted to any opaque or semi-transparent colour
- Easy to apply by brush, roller or spray
- Two coats are required to meet Class 0 spread of flame protection (One Coat to achieve Class 1 spread of flame protection)
HSP TCW Fire Protection Top Coat
- Water-based top coat for use on internal Envirograf coatings
- Low odour, water based
- Good flexibility
- Extremely durable
- Protects against moisture
- Can be clear or tinted to any opaque or semi-transparent colour
- Choose from a satin, gloss or matt finish