The Woodland Trust Headquarters
About The Woodland Trust Headquarters
The stunning eco-friendly headquarters of The Woodland Trust designed by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios reflects the philosophy and cultural values that drive the institution it houses.
The use of light weight timber structures and 'Concrete radiators' to add thermal mass was a pioneering innovation. Important to the design was the need to retain the quiet sense of natural intimacy and welcoming enclosure.
A tight visual palette of clean lines and simple forms also needed to comply with building regulation in terms of fire protection.
With so much natural light entering the building the brief was to provide a Class 0 Class 1 fire retardant finish in a semi-transparent white shade that would retain the natural beauty and grain of the timber and also reflect the light. A range of white tints were formulated in Envirograf ES/VFR Fire Retardant Coating which met the brief in full. The ES/VFR Fire Retardant was over coated with durable clear lacquer to provide the necessary protection.
Awards and Commendations
The design and build won wide critical acclaim, numerous awards and commendations, notably;
- TTJ Awards: Achievement in Engineered Timber: Winner
- RIBA Awards: Winner
- AJ100 Awards: Building of the Year: Shortlist
- Green Apple Awards: Winner
- Grantham Civic Society: New Building: Winner
- BCO Awards: Corporate Workplace - Regional East Midlands Awards: Winner
- Sustain Magazine Awards: Design and Architecture: Winner
- Building Awards: Building Magazine Project of the Year: Shortlist
- RICS Awards (Regional East Midlands): Sustainability: Winner
- British Construction Industry Awards: Building Projects £3m-£5m: Highly Commended